Supporting the residents of Rancho Palmeras Estates since 1957
To ensure Indian Wells would remain a community characterized by distinctly fine residential/country club living and resort hotels, in 1957, E.M. "Pete" Peterson, who became the city's first mayor, established the first property owners association. Peterson's commitment to quality of life carried forward and still defines our neighborhood today.
Plot Plan 1957
First City Council Members Being Sworn In
Mayor - E. M. Peterson (center in black coat)
Vice Mayor - H. L.Cavanagh
Councilmen: D.J. Bogardus,
Norris Goff, Gordon Lyons
Rancho Palmeras Estates In the News
Sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Aenean consectetur suscipit viverra. Morbi non arcu blandit justo pellentesque condimentum. Integer dignissim risus quis felis accumsan quis pulvinar tellus fermentum.
March 20, 1959
Rancho Palmeras Building Starts
2 Model Homes Planned
Rancho Palmeras Estates, the 100-acre residential development bordering Eldorado Country Club off Highway 111 in Palm Desert goes into high gear as the desert areas newest showplace with the start of construction of two model homes.
This was announced by E. M. "Pete Peterson, owner-developer Peterson, who is vice mayor of San Marino, said that the firm of Meredith and Simpson is building those customized Medallion homes as examples of what can he done architecturally in the picturesque and protected setting afforded by Rancho Palmeras estate- sized home-sites.
THE SECLUDED location of the 230-site development is the culmination of three years of careful study of the area by the developer.
Having made substantial contributions to San Marino’s effective zoning, Peterson appreciated the value of single-family dwelling zoning. He went ahead with his project when this was assured.
Start of construction of the model homes, part of the initial 52 estates, ready for public inspection, will be marked by special opening rites this week. Highlighting them will be the placing of a date lei on a new signpost at the development’s stone entrance on Highway 111.
ARTISTS SKETCH depicts 3-bedroom model house now under construction at Rancho Palmeras Estates, 100-acre residential development adjoining Eldorado Country Club off Highway 111. Owned and being developed by E. M. "Pete" Peterson. Vice mayor of San Marino, it is being hailed as the Bel-Air of the desert. The beautiful oasis of 230 secluded estates is protectively restricted in architecture and zoning.
Desert Sun - January 24, 1959
SITE PREPARATION FOR the first of 52 homes that will be built on the 230 estate-sized sites in Rancho Palmeras Estates is being discussed here by Robert Simpson, E. M. Peterson and Diven Meredith, Peterson, developer of the property, asked the Meredith and Simpson firm to furnish distinctive, individually-designed plans for each of the 52 dwellings.
RANCHO PALMERAS ESTATES TO OPEN
PALM DESERT - Formal opening and initial sales for the first unit of the 230-site Rancho Palmeras Estates, located 1½ miles east of this Palm Desert, has been announced for this weekend by E. M. Peterson, owner of the E. M. Peterson Company, developers of the property. Peterson, a San Marino city councilman, is principal owner of the development. The first unit, which is to be opened Saturday comprises 52 large home-sites.
THE PROPERTY is part of the original Rancho Palmeras, Peterson said
"We have selected this properly for distinctive development," Peterson said, "because of the secluded beauty of the setting surrounded as it is by date gardens, citrus groves and vineyards and with an unobstructed view of the colorful foothills of the Santa Rosa Mountains.
He said the opening Saturday would culminate a three-year planning study of the area to determine best use and division of the property, which adjoins Eldorado Country Club. Peterson said that the study had resulted in utilization of the full-grown palms in the estate sites.
THE ABSENCE of through streets assure us of maximum privacy,” he said. “Controlled architecture and building restrictions will preserve the beauty of Rancho Palmeras permanently.'’ Peterson has had experience in real estate management and mortgage loans in several Southland areas, including major developments in the Glendora Country Club area. The developer said that architectural plans on the first group of homes are now being rushed to completion.
Desert Sun - March 26, 1959
PRETTY POWERS MODEL Sherie McKee places date lei on street sign in ceremonies marking the newly named “Rancho Palmeras Drive" in Palm Desert. Looking on are E. M. "Pete" Peterson, owner-developer of the 100-acre Rancho Palmeras Estates, and sales representative Hazel L. Kirk. The thoroughfare extends from the stone entrance of the luxury home-site development on Highway 111 to Rancho Palmeras’ next-door neighbor, Eldorado Country Club, located just one and one half miles east of Palm Desert's business district. Rancho Palmeras Drive is a non-through street serving the entire length of the palm-lined property and ending at ajoining Eldorado Country Club. (Gayle Studio Photo)
Desert Sun - October 7, 1959
RANCHO ESTATES OPENS NEW UNITS
PALM DESERT - Just six months after the launching of its first unit Rancho Palmeras Estates, adjoining famed Eldorado Country Club near Palm Desert, is ushering in the new desert resort season in high gear. E. M. "Pete" Peterson, owner-developer of the 100-acre new community of luxury homes, announced that the development's second and third units are being opened as the result of a near sell-out of its first unit.
PETERSON SAID that the homes and home-sites have won very popular acceptance with the buying public because of the built-in prestige involved. This prestige stems in part from its immediate adjacency to the golf course that has commanded world attention as the scene of President Eisenhower's recent golf activities, he said.
Rancho Palmeras Estates has the same luxurious setting that the President found so appealing
LACED BY STATELY palms, It boasts the protective and breathtakingly beautiful backdrop of the rugged and colorful Santa Rosa Mountains. The mountains provide shelter and seclusion to this new desert showplace, which is located 1 1/2 miles east of Palm Desert's business district and has a striking stone wall to mark its entrance on Highway 111.
On display at Rancho Palmeras Estates are several Medallion model homes, excitingly styled to blend with the development's magnificent vistas.
Caption under picture
MEDALLION MODELS at Rancho Palmeras Estates new 100-acre community adjoining famed Eldorado Country Club, have caused Ruth and Otto Dims, of Arcadia, to join the parade of luxury homes there. E. M. "Pete" Peterson, owner-developer of the project, announced that Rancho Palmeras Estates, 1 1/2 miles east of Palm Desert’s business district, is ushering in the new season with Units No, 2 and 3. Unit No. 1, opened just six months ago, is fast approaching the sellout stage.
(Gayle Studio Photo).
Desert Sun - November 6, 1959
STREET RENAMED ‘FAIRWAY DRIVE'
PALM DESERT Eldorado Country Club veeps Jimmy Hines and Johnny Dawson and E. M. “Pete” Peterson, owner-operator of adjoining 100-acre Rancho Palmeras Estates, announced yesterday that the dirt road lying between the two properties has been newly named “Fairway Drive” and would be widened and surfaced as an access road to their respective properties from Palm Desert.
Work on the street will be launched right after the Ryder Cup matches and is expected to be completed by Christmas. It’s a joint venture of Riverside County and the six property owners with acreage bordering the new thoroughfare.
STARTING NEAR Eldorado Country Club’s main entrance on Smead Road, Fairway Drive runs for a mile past Rancho Palmeras Estates, thence west to Paint Brush Drive and continuing to the Shadow Mountain Club.
Its width of 36 feet makes it the widest thoroughfare in Palm Desert. paralleling the width of nearby Highway 111.
FIRST STEP in widening the street will be the removal of date palms lining the properties dedicated to the project by the individual property owners. Grading and paving will follow. Meanwhile Fairway Drive will be open for Ryder Cup Matches visitors via Rancho Palmeras ‘ Drive.
STREET SIGN WITH the golf club look is admired by E. M. “Pete" Peterson, center, owner-operator of Rancho Palmeras Estates and Jimmy Hines, left and Johnny Dawson, vice-presidents of adjoining Eldorado County Club. The trio announced yesterday, on behalf of their respective enterprises and four other property owners, that the newly-named Fairway Drive would be widened and extended right after the Ryder Cup Matches. The street, which bisects Eldorado and Rancho Palmeras Estates at the main entrance of the former and runs past the latter, winding up at Shadow Mountain Club. It’s the first access road, other than Highway 111, from Palm Desert to Eldorado and Rancho Palmeras.
(Gayle Studio Photo)
Desert Sun - January 27, 1961
NEW PALMERAS UNIT OPENS UP
E. M. “Pete” Peterson, owner developer of the new residential community of Rancho Palmeras Estates bordering Eldorado Country Club just east of Palm Desert, has announced the opening of a new unit of estate-size home sites on Fairway Drive.
Frontage of the new unit runs a half-mile along paved, 36-foot wide Fairway Drive, which bisects Rancho Palmeras and Eldorado and winds up at the Shadow Mountain Club in Palm Desert. It’s part of Rancho Palmeras’ 120-acre development.
PETERSON, WHO declared that there are a few lots available in original units, revealed that the site of the new unit was formerly one of the pioneer Coachella Valley date groves. More than 300 palms have been removed to make way for the new unit. Totaling 40 acres, the site was purchased by Peterson from Kenneth Lichty, president of the California Date Grower's Association.
TEMPO OF HOME - building activity at Rancho Palmeras has been stepped up since January 1. Four homes have been completed and four more are currently under construction. Each is individually designed and built. Prices range from $28,500 to $55,000.
The homes, studded with special features, take full advantage of Ranch Palmeras' Santa Rosa Mountain backdrop, its palm trees and indoor-outdoor living attributes.
Desert Sun - February 16, 1961
DATE GROVE PALMS are denuded of fronds preparatory to being removed to make way for Unit No. 4 of 120-acre Rancho Palmeras Estates adjoining Eldorado Country Club. The unit, like its three companion units, will retain enough of the stately palms to provide landscaping and shelter for homeowners. The 40-acre site, which will be ready March 1, boasts a half mile long frontage along Fairway Drive, new thoroughfare bisecting the Rancho Palmeras and Eldorado Country Club properties, E. M. "Pete" Peterson, owner-developer, purchased the Unit No. 4 site from Kenneth Lichty, president of the California Date Grower's Association.
Desert Sun - October 21, 1961
Knew What Was Coming
A San Marino city councilman E. M. (Pete) Peterson, knew what he was doing when he acquired 110 acres in Palm Desert adjoining Eldorado Country Club and started the residential community of Rancho Palmeras Estates.
Now that ex-President Dwight Eisenhower is to be a part-time resident in his own home only a stone's throw from Rancho Palmeras at Eldorado, Peterson's project looks even better.
For Ike's three or four-month residency prior to the California Republican gubernatorial primary election should make the Eldorado Rancho Palmeras area the mecca for GOP bigwigs who have heretofore treked to the Eisenhower farm at Gettysburg to discuss the 1962 campaigns with the former President.
The influx of GOP leaders to the desert resort area is expected to result in a real estate boom at Rancho Palmeras, separated from Eldorado by only a single street appropriately named Fairway Drive
Desert Sun - December 8, 1961
Estates Near Golf Course Top Seller
Rapidly becoming a prime show-place development in the Palm Desert area is Rancho Palmeras Estates, 120-acre community of luxury homes adjoining Eldorado Country Club.
E. M. "Pete” Peterson, owner of Rancho Palmeras, announced that the development has ushered in the new desert season in high gear. Sparking this activity is the near sell-out status of Rancho Palmeras' first three units, the recent unveiling of Unit No. 4 and plans to start construction of 10 new homes in the $35,000 to $65,000 price range within the next 30 days.
The development is particularly popular among those seeking winter vacation homes or retirement dwellings with a heavy accent on beauty, glamour and social prestige.
The beauty and glamour stems from Rancho Palmeras’ excitingly engineered land development. Laced by stately palms, the homes and estate-sized home-sites have been styled to blend with the development's magnificent vistas. Highlighting the picturesque scene is the backdrop formed by the rugged Santa Rosa Mountains, which provide both shelter and seclusion in a cove-like setting.
Rancho Palmeras is adjacent to the golf course that has commanded international attention as the scene of former President Eisenhower’s golf activities and new residence. The Estates, which offer spacious home-sites from $6,500 to $13,000 and customized homes from $29,500 to $65,000, are located 1 1/2 miles east of Palm Desert's business district.
Desert Sun - March 9, 1962
AT RANCHO PALMERAS
Desert Dream Coming True
Dreams of men are fascinating phenomena. If you live in the sun-kissed desert empire the chances are that this thought has crossed your mind more than once.
For it has become increasingly evident that men with dreams are finding the Coachella Valley a fertile place in which to put their imaginations to work to mold raw desert land into showplace golf courses and homes of the most modern design.
One of these men is E. M. “Pete” Peterson, long-time civic leader in fashionable San Marino and currently its vice-mayor and councilman.
Peterson first decided that the desert was destiny shortly after World War II when he and his wife, Zelda, spent a series of weekends in Palm Springs. As the overpowering lure of the desert cast its inimitable spell over them. Peterson set his plans to search for bonanzas on its sands. In the very spot where an entire generation of prospectors with burros once imprinted their inextinguishable faith in their search for gold, Peterson dreamed of building a residential community.
Today that dream is a glittering reality. For Peterson is the spark and at the same time captain of a 120-acre community of luxury homes adjoining Eldorado Country Club in Palm Desert. It's called Rancho Palmeras Estates, deriving its name from the 20-acre date garden that launched Peterson's land acquisition in the area. Rancho Palmeras means ranch of the palms in Spanish.
Peterson, whose career in real estate dates back to 1927 and who is Rancho Palmeras’ owner and exclusive sales agent, reports the development’s growth pattern is right on schedule.
So dynamic has been Rancho Palmeras' growth that there has been a progressive upsurge in property values with home-sites in unit number four selling from $10,000 to $13,000, while the few lots left in the initial three units are selling for from $6,500 to $8,750. Homes range in price from $29,500 to $70,000. Latter homes are under construction along Fairway Drive, which bisects the properties of El Dorado Country Club and Rancho Palmeras.
Desert Sun - October 6, 1962
Peterson Gets Praise From Desert Beautiful
PALM DESERT - The Desert Beautiful committee today praised the efforts of E. M. ‘‘Pete’’ Peterson, owner and developer of beautiful Rancho Palmeras Estates in Palm Desert.
"We feel it admirable of Peterson to cooperate with the Desert Beautiful program,” Mrs. Irene* Fenton stated when she learned of the current project at Rancho Palmeras Estates. Mrs. Fenton, chairman of the awards committee, went on to say, "Rancho Palmeras is a vital part of our campaign and serves as an example of the work we in Desert Beautiful are striving towards.”
Twice annually, Peterson engages crews of workmen to perform a general clean up of the area, trimming the palm trees, removing weeds and clearing heavy weeds and clearing heavy grass caused by irrigation.
“We are proud of our residentual area and attempt to keep it clean and tidy," Peterson stated. This program is reflected by our homeowners who share a pride of ownership with us by maintaining beautifully manicured gardens even throughout the summer months,” Peterson went on to say.
Desert Sun - November 6, 1971
Indian Wells Mayor Dies
E.M. (Pete) Peterson, mayor of Indian Wells, 67, died early this morning in Desert Hospital, where he had been in critical condition following a stroke which he suffered in his home last Sunday.
Peterson had been mayor of Indian Wells since its incorporation in July 1967. He came to the desert in 1958 from San Marino and purchased property at the corner of Highway 111 and Palmeras Drive, now Rancho Palmeras Estates. Funeral services are pending at Wiefels and Son Mortuary.
Rancho Palmeras Building Starts
Advertisment January 31, 1966
Rancho Palmeras Estates to Open
Rancho Palmeras Drive 1959
Rancho Estates to Open New Units
Street Renamed 'Fairway Drive'
New Palmeras Units Opens Up
Date Palms Prepared
He Knew What Was Coming
Estates Near Golf Course Top Seller
Desert Dream Coming True
Praise From Desert Beautiful
Indian Wells Mayor Dies